|1944/01/03, Jap Planes Blasted By Navy Guns|
[this newsreel is silent] (1) "Yank Marksmen Bag Jap Planes (A flaming spectacle which elicits gasps from seasoned film goers) - As an American task force steams along to prosecute a raid on the marshall Islands, Jap torpedo planes soar into view to destroy a Yank aircraft carrier. From her expansive flight deck we see some of the most spectacular action scenes of this war. Sailors fall prone to permit sprays of bullets to belch upwards at the attacking Japs...
|Jap Films of Hiroshima, 1946/08/05|
(1) Japanese Films of atomic bomb blast at Hiroshima, released one year later (2) Underwater atom blast rocks Bikini (line down middle of film frames) Admiral Blandy commander of task force, 2nd test of Operation Crossroads, cameras point to site of underwater explosion Test Baker, mushroom cloud of explosion, carrier Saratoga finally sinks, another view of the blast from overhead airplane. (sound track cuts out at very end)
Downloads: 30,421 (2 reviews)
|Japan Today, 1946/06/20|
"Japan: In the midst of black markets and inflationary prices, life for the average Japanese is grim and barren. Rebuilding homes and harvesting meagre crops keep some healthy and housed, but many have to tighten their belts." scenes of life in Japan, poverty, gardens planted, black market. (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 4,375 (2 reviews)
(poor quality) Tokyo Winter Olympics opening ceremonies, Hirohito opens games, ringed flag raised, torch enters stadium, up 154 steps, lights flame, 8000 pigeons released (partial newsreel).
Downloads: 1,596 (1 review)
|Japanese Surrender, 1945/08/23|
(1) First Pictures of Japanese Surrender, delegates carried by Japanes planes to and then on to Manila; MacArthur ; Halsey on USS Missouri with special cake decorated with Japanese rising sun; (2) Armed Jap Mercy Ship Captured; (3) De Gaulle Arrives - Byrnes meets De Gaulle, meets Truman at White House; (4) U.S. Turns From War To Peace - sailors are first groups to be released in Long Beach on point system; workers leave war plants, line up in cities for new jobs, washing machines and cars soon ...
|Jet Planes in Action, 1945/07/16|
(silent except sound of jet takeoff) (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 2,120 (1 review)
|Jet Record. Coast To Coast In 3 Hours, 23 Minutes, 1957/07/18|
(1) Major John Glenn in Crusader jet leaves Alameda CA for coast-to-coast flight, 2460 mile in 3 hrs 23 mins, Glenn taxis in, waves from cockpit (2) Chicago seizure of marijuana, burned by Marines with flame-throwers (3) new landing system on carrier Saratoga guides pilot, new optical system replacing old landing officer (partial newsreel)
|Johnson On Vietnam. Vows To Fight On Until Reds Parley , 1965/05/13|
LBJ speaks to cartoonists at White House, wants to prevent "Chinese domination over all Asia" - pictures of peaceful Vietnam - LBJ speaks (partial newsreel).
|Journey Bound. Fliers Freed After Two Years Captivity, 1955/08/08|
(1) 11 fliers cross bridge to Hong Kong from B-29 shot down, on leaflet-dropping mission, led by Col. John Arnold, take baths, drink coke, "a warning of the ruthless enemy we face" (2) Quito Honduras meeting between heads of state of Ecuador and Honduras (3) airplane crash at Midway field in Chicago (4) Turin italy - Clare Booth Luce (ambassador to Italy) and delivery of F-86 built in America and assembled at Fiat plant that will soon make planes for NATO (5) Navy graduation, even of Landy, thro...
|Jungle War In Burma, 1944/04/03|
(1) Jungle War In Burma "Lord Louis Mountbatten, Commander-in-Chief of the Southeast Asia Armies, sends his forces down Burma's western shores in a master plan to regain Burma from Japs. We got a bird's eye view of the difficult terrain, then we watch the Tommies slither through the jungle brush, as their tanks blaze forth with supporting fire. Formations of Allied bombers spew their bomb loads on the resisting Japs and British artillery and machine guns finish the 'clearing out' job...
|Junior Missilemen. Army Aids Teen Agers In Mass Rocket Shoot, 1959/03/09|
Camp A.P. Hill VA model rocket meet for high school teenagers supported by Army (partial newsreel).